- Treat the data and analyses of this step with the utmost security.
The roadmap may be shared with local IT support, digital security trainers, possible funders, or other consultants in part, or in full. Consider the content in light of this.
- Individual vulnerabilities should be able to be read, and acted upon, independently from the rest of the report so that the organization can easily provide only the required information for follow up work.
- The overall posture and risk/ranking profile components should be able to be read independent from the risk model and be free of any specific vulnerabilities to allow the organization to easily provide trusted invested parties with an overview of the results/need without exposing any specific vulnerabilities.
- Use VPNs or Tor to search if conducting the search from a country that is highly competitive with the organization’s country, or is known to surveil.
- Compare the resources required against the capabilities identified in the risk modeling activities and the contextual research you completed.
- Based upon the organizational capacity assessment, build a menu that builds upon the organizational strengths to create a path forward that provides achievable outcomes, maintains agency, and steps towards long-term difficult outcomes with high reward for the host.
- Implementation Matrix Development: Create an "implementation matrix." with the urgency of the threat addressed balanced by the difficulty of implementation given available organizational capacity for the recommendations.
- Roadmap Development: Identify critical vulnerabilities, with achievable recommendations that fit into threat narratives that you heard from staff during the audit to create a remediation roadmap for addressing the threats faced by the organization. Include a short description of why each recommendation (and corresponding threat) was ranked with the urgency it was assigned.
- Documenting Existing Successes: Place the recommendations on a time-line that includes the existing practices of the organization to show that the remediation process is a continuation of the hosts existing in/formal security practices. shostack_anchoring